Welcome!

Welcome to parents and community members. Feel free to comment and leave us feedback. We hope you enjoy!

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Mercy Corps Visit - SM

Today was really fun. I got to ride on the max for the first time that I can remember, and I got to do that twice! Mercy Corps was really cool, too.
First we talked about the five basic needs that all people should have (food, water, shelter, education, and health care) and the five main contributors to extreme poverty (natural disasters, climate change, economic crises, disease, and something else I cannot remember).
We then looked at a huge touchscreen version of Google Maps to find out where Afghanistan (over near India).
We also watched a few videos about Afghanistan. We saw one about schooling there, and we saw several videos of Afghan people telling us about their experiences there.
The next, last, and most fun part was when we split up into groups and pretended to be the elders and decide between two offers from Mercy Corps (I'm guessing) to improve the schooling there. This doesn't really have anything to do with it, but I say a horse outside on the sidewalk while one group was presenting their choice. :)
We then had lunch and rode back. The trip was really fun, and I hope we can do something like that again soon.

S.M.

No comments:

Post a Comment