Welcome!

Welcome to parents and community members. Feel free to comment and leave us feedback. We hope you enjoy!

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Mercy Corps Visit - RE

I really enjoyed going to Mercycorps. I love riding on the Max, and then we walked to the Mercycorps building. Inside we met a woman named Kendra who taught just exactly what poverty is. I never knew there was such a thing as Extreme Poverty. I felt bad for the people she told us about, but she also said that poor doesn't mean sad, and I thought that was a really good point and that some people who are suffering from poverty are perfectly happy with their life. We saw people who lived on one dollar a day and people who lived on two dollars a day. It was sad to think about. After we watched a slide show we watched a video. We learned what causes poverty in the first place. Then we did an exercise like we were a government of sorts for Afghanistan. We chose different educational plans for specific towns and communities . Kendra said that if you can save a countries educational problems, you can often fix their over all problems with poverty. I learned a lot of things when I visited Mercycorps and I thought it was very interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment